So this smoothie breakfast isn't especially for runners per se but it's chalk full of healthy ingredients good for runners. Endurance athletes I treat at Sport and Spine and runners I coach at Roadrunners of Kansas City ask me for this recipe all the time. Personally, this superfood shake is a staple in my diet. It is gluten free, all natural with no added sugar.
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (or skim milk or Almond milk - no added sugar)
- 1 TBS of Chia seed (yep, the same stuff used for the Chia Pet)
- 1 TBS of ground peanut butter or almond butter (no oils or sugar added)
- 1 TBS of cocoa nibs (optional)
- 1 TBS golden flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 1/4 cup of frozen fruit (no sugar added - vary which ones you use)
- 1 scoop of Vega One plant-based nutritional shake mix natural flavor (you could use other flavors.)
Put all in blender and blend! Grab a spoon or wide straw as it will gel up and thicken. Enjoy!
Caution: your sleeping family members will not like the sound of your blender acting as their alarm clock and if you find little chips of sawdust/wood in your shake, that means you scooped up the little packet that keeps your Vega powder dry and it ended up in your smoothie. It is not unsafe (yes, I called poison control the first time I did it), it just gives it an awful chewy texture and ruins your morning.