"When should I stretch?" I get this question all the time. Here is a quick how to:
- Keep it DYNAMIC. Move SLOWly into and out of the position. Do not bounce. Avoid holding the position for more than a breath.
- Stretch BEFORE a run. Ease into it slowly.
- Foam roll AFTER a run. Avoid the urge to stretch immdiately after a run especially those greater than 15 miles. Wait until later in the day to stretch.
- Keep it SHORT. Four to eight reps of each one should do it, listen to your body.
- BREATHE. Your muscles need the oxygen and so does your brain! Exhale with the stretch, inhale as you come out of it.